Psychologist Abraham Maslow conducted lifelong research about mental health and human potential. Seeing human beings’ needs arranged like a ladder, he devised his renowned hierarchy of needs.
Here’s a breakdown of the needs and desires people try to fulfill, as compiled neatly in Chip and Dan Heath’s New York Times bestseller Made to Stick:
- Transcendence: help others realize their potential
- Self-actualization: realize your own potential, self-fulfillment, peak experiences
- Aesthetic: symmetry, order, beauty, balance
- Learning: know, understand, mentally connect
- Esteem: achieve, be competent, gain approval, independence, status
- Belonging: love, family, friends, affection
- Security: protection, safety, stability
- Physical: hunger, thirst, bodily comfort
Ensure your web content taps into these basic human needs to appeal to your visitors’ emotions. You’ll engage and convert.